“Most parents say no to dessert for breakfast, but many children’s cereals have just as much sugar as a dessert— or more”, says the Environmental Working Group.
The 10 cereals with the highest sugar content (by percentage weight) are:
- Kellogg’s Honey Smacks (55.6%)
- Post Golden Crisp (51.9%)
- Kellogg’s Froot Loops Marshmallow (48.3%)
- Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch’s OOPS! All Berries (46.9%)
- Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch Original (44.4%)
- Quaker Oats Oh!s (44.4%)
- Kellogg’s Smorz (43.3%)
- Kellogg’s Apple Jacks (42.9%)
- Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries (42.3%)
- Kellogg’s Fruit Loops Original (41.4%)
The EWG just published a wonderful report addressing this issue and giving healthy alternatives (remember protein is crucial at breakfast). Spend a few minutes going through it, especially if you’re a parent and your kids eat dessert for breakfast, I mean cereal.