When patients move or tell their friends about the type of care they receive here at ProActive Chiropractic, they often ask us for a referral for someone who does what we do outside of San Francisco. And honestly, we have the same problem when we are traveling and we need chiropractic care. Our advice, and what we follow when we are on the road is the following: we search for three main things. These are skills/advanced certifications that our doctors at ProActive Chiropractic have attained and that we think will help you get as close as possible to what we do at ProActive Chiropractic.
- Sports Chiropractic – Sports Chiropractors pay attention to all the joints in the body and pay more close attention to muscles than simply just the joints of the spine. Check the Sports Chiropractor directory here: http://acbsp.com/directory. You want someone with a CCSP (Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician) or DABCSP (Diplomate of the American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians). Both of those designations are shown in the online directory.
- Graston Certified– This is a soft tissue treatment that we at ProActive Chiropractic use with very good results. Getting certified in this technique means that the doctor looks to more than just adjusting joints. Downside, is that Graston makes you pay to be listed on their website, so not everyone who is certified (like us) is listed in their directory, but if they are listed you know they are certified. Directory: http://www.grastontechnique.com/LocateaProvider.html
- Applied Kinesiology (AK)– We put this at the end of the list for a reason. There are many different “flavors” of Applied Kinesiology. A good structure-based applied kinesiology doctor is invaluable, but there are many applied kinesiology doctors who have branched into esoterica or that just want to sell supplements. http://www.icakusa.com/dr-map/
If you can find someone who is on all these lists that would be amazing. Two out of three might be the best you can find. Also, if they are trying to sell you on 3x/week visits for months at a time or large pre-pay plans it’s a different approach than what we do.
Add video with title: How Dr. Cohen finds a chiropractor abroad:
Here is a summary of how we at ProActive Chiropractic recommend going about a search for a Chiropractor outside of San Francisco:
- Recommendations from friends, family, or locals.
- Look at online reviews through Google or Yelp.
- Look for a Sports Chiropractor (CCSP, DCBSP, ICSC)
- Look for extra soft tissue training like ART or Graston
- Look for an Applied Kinesiology certified doctor.
We hope this information helps you. And if your search yields an amazing chiropractor, please let us know their name so that we can add them to our referral list for future patients.
And please ask us if we can recommend someone outside of San Francisco that we have tried or one of our patients has had a great experience with. We are happy to help.